Raspberry Pipboy – Case Pt.1

I’ve started building the case. Well, A bit!

I’ve picked up a cylindrical metal container from IKEA, and after attacking it a bit with a hacksaw I’ve managed to get it to the right length and width. Behold!

Behold, The Cylinder!
Behold, The Cylinder!

It’s currently masterfully held together with masking tape, but I’ll be replacing that with some clever locking mechanism (Once I figure that bit out).

That’s the sleeve sorted. As for the ‘box’ that sits on it I’ve got a copy of a 3D model of the pip boy from Thingverse. However it’s not designed to contain all the electronics that are going into this project, so I’m taking that apart (virtually) too!

The 'Box'
The ‘Box’

I’ve not finished tweaking it yet, but when it’s finished I’ll make it available on the site. I don’t own a 3D printer either, but I’ve got a plan for prototyping it a bit. Once I’ve had a go I’ll put up another post with how it went.

Advertisements

Raspberry Pipboy – Hardware

Well, I just got a package! All the hardware I ordered for the Raspberry Pipboy build.

Special Delivery!Here’s a copy of my shopping list, All of it from Adafruit:

I’ve also added a stack of resistors and LEDs for testing from my local Maplin. The Raspberry Pi I’ve had sitting around for a while, after I stopped using it as a media center PC.

First things first was getting output working from the GPIO pins. This is my first attempt at using them. I set up a pretty basic circuit to light up a handful of LEDs using python.

LEDs

 

Next, I tried out my new LED buttons, replacing the LED’s in the circuit:

Light up buttons

It’s a bit of a mess, but it works! In the final build I plan to solder them all into a much neater package. But this initial foray into electronics has worked out rather well (and much faster than I’d expected)! Next up, getting the software running.